skip to Main Content

Where to go if you are hurt or sick

Keep Emergency for emergencies

The hospital emergency department is for major, life-threatening illnesses and injuries.

Remember: there are other places you can go for help, depending on your condition.
care options available

Know your options after hours

If you become unwell when your regular GP surgery or other health service is closed, and it isn’t an emergency, one of the after hours services on the Central Coast may be able to assist.

Internal page After Hours Primary Health Care Services

The National Health Services Directory allows consumers to easily search for the closest doctor, pharmacy or other health services that are open now, including after hours. This service is provided by Healthdirect.

Internal page Healthdirect Services Directory

Is it an emergency?

In an emergency you should always dial Triple Zero (000) or go straight to your nearest hospital emergency department. 

Examples of emergencies include:

  • loss of consciousness or suffering a seizure (fit)
  • severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • if you think you are having a stroke
  • if you have been the victim of a severe accident.

Mental Health emergencies

Call the Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511 to speak to a mental health professional who can advise you on the right care for your situation. This might involve arranging a hospital admission, or organising for an appropriate person to contact you. The Mental Health Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can also phone Lifeline on 13 11 14 for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you are thinking about suicide or experiencing a personal crisis.

Remember: if someone is in immediate danger or requires urgent medical attention, call Triple Zero (000).

Internal page Mental health support

Is it a minor injury or illness?

Visit your GP (doctor) in the first instance for ailments like:

  • Ear pain
  • Vomiting
  • Stomach pain
  • Backache
  • Sprains and strains
  • Minor cuts

Visit a pharmacy for common complaints such as:

  • Sore throat
  • Diarrhoea/upset tummy
  • Runny nose
  • Heartburn and indigestion
  • Cough
  • Minor headache

Not sure?

Call Health Direct on 1800 022 222 for free 24 hour health advice if:

  • you’re not sure whether you need to visit the emergency department
  • you’re not sure what kind of help you need or where to access it
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next.
Back To Top