The pastoral care team offers support and comfort to patients, families, friends and staff during their hospital experience. They are professionally trained individuals who are available to:
- Offer emotional and spiritual support.
- Sit with you in shared silence, or listen as you reflect on your story.
- Assist you in seeking inner peace, strength and meaning.
- Offer prayer and the sacraments of the church (if requested).
Each person is treated with dignity and care and with sensitivity for their unique needs and wishes. Priority is given to those who are dying and those who are emotionally distressed or fragile.
Pastoral care staff and volunteers:
- Come from a variety of backgrounds and faith traditions.
- Offer a wealth of life experience, with a great respect for people's differences and life's challenges.
- Are caring and sensitive, with a clear desire to support others.
- Have a passion for learning and growing.
Pastoral care staff and volunteers are available within Gosford, Wyong, and Woy Woy Hospitals, as well as the Long Jetty Healthcare Centre. Representatives from most faith traditions can be contacted through the ward staff or the hospital Chaplain. Catholic pastoral care practitioners also offer ministry within both Gosford and Wyong Hospitals.
All volunteers have completed over 400 hours of Clinical Pastoral Education to help them understand the special needs of people who face hospitalisation. If pastoral care is a ministry that interests you, or if you would like more information on Clinical Pastoral Education, please
see Clinical Pastoral Education upcoming training, or contact us below.
There are Chapels at Wyong and Gosford Hospitals for quiet reflection, prayer and meditation. Open 24 hours every day, they are tranquil spaces where people of all faiths or no faith can experience serenity and peace. The Gosford Chapel is located on Level 4 near Medical Ward 4 and the Wyong Chapel is on Level 3 near the M4 Medical Assessment Unit (MAU).
When visiting the hospital please ask the nursing staff in your area to contact the pastoral care team. They can also be contacted on the details below.
Chaplain Coordinator, Gosford Hospital
Phone: 4320 2253
Chaplain, Wyong Hospital
Phone: 4394 4856