Top 5 When in Hospital brochure
There may be things that you would like hospital staff to know but you don’t want to keep telling them over and over again. You can ask staff to write this on a TOP5 form.
Think about...and tell us
things that make you upset and how staff can help
- what staff need to know about your mob and / or family relationships
- if you have a family spokesperson for us to talk to
- what staff can do or say to make you feel safe
The following video snippet has been developed to help both staff and carers to understand the process of collecting a TOP5 and how to write the strategies containing the elements of a good TOP5.
Instructions: View the video and write the TOP5. Check your answers against the sample below.
When developing the TOP5 for Harry, think about:
1. What is the issue? Harry becomes aggressive when showering is attempted.
Why does it occur? It is shameful and embarrassing for him to be showered by a female nurse.
How do we resolve the issue? Have a male nurse shower Harry, or wait for his wife or son to visit.
2. What is the issue? Harry is listening to everything you say, but feels uncomfortable with eye contact.
Why does it occur? Harry mistrusts government organizations.
How do we resolve the issue? Don't try to make him look at you, but talk to him normally.
3. What is the issue? Harry may not understand medical discussion.
Why does this occur? Harry gets anxious and feels uncomfortable asking questions.
How do we resolve the issue? Include his wife and son in all medical discussions so they can reinforce what has been said.
Harry's TOP5 could look like this:
NOTE: There are only three strategies for Harry at this stage, as more strategies are discovered they can be added later.